Clarksville Divorce Lawyers Help You Move On
Guiding you through separation to a bright future
While every divorce case is unique, there are principles that hold true regardless of the forum or circumstances. At the Kennedy Law Firm, PLLC, our compassionate and experienced divorce attorneys in Clarksville guide you through the process and explain what to expect at each step. After more than 18 years of serving people throughout Tennessee, we understand the emotional rollercoaster you are experiencing and how anxious you are to move on with the next phase of your life. While we take all reasonable steps to expedite the process, we are never afraid to litigate if we believe it is in your best interests.
Consult a divorce attorney in Clarksville for key family law issues
We assist divorce clients in Tennessee with a wide range of family law services:
- Child support – For custodial parents, child support provides the resources they need to provide for his or her children. Special circumstances, noncompliance or dishonesty of either party may complicate these proceedings and necessitate the attention of an experienced attorney.
- Child custody and visitation – As one of the most emotionally charged components of divorce, resolving child custody disputes frequently requires litigation. While our attorneys always make reasonable attempts to settle these issues amicably, we are prepared to go to court when the circumstances call for it.
- Spousal support and alimony – Determining alimony in Tennessee is a subjective process, and clients can benefit from greatly the experience and insight of a seasoned Clarksville attorney.
- Domestic violence – Allegations of violence or abuse can complicate domestic proceedings and carry independent criminal consequences. Our attorneys represent victims and those facing groundless accusations of domestic violence.
- Property division – Our lawyers draw on substantial experience and access to a network of accountants, appraisers and other professionals to negotiate and litigate property division issues effectively.
- Adoption – We have experience with both the Tennessee adoption processes and the complex issues raised by interstate and international adoptions.
How our divorce attorneys in Clarksville help you
Whether you reside in Tennessee, our attorneys can guide you through your state’s unique divorce process and the special issues of military divorces. We negotiate with your spouse and your spouse’s attorney to resolve disputed issues, but while divorce settlements are often achieved outside the courtroom, negotiations to achieve equitable resolutions are not always possible. In those cases, our divorce lawyers in Clarksville draw on 75 years of combined litigation experience to try cases in court and obtain favorable judgments for our clients.
Frequently asked questions
I need to change provisions in my divorce decree. If my ex and I agree, would the changes be valid?
After your divorce, you may need to modify one or more of the stipulations in your divorce decree, such as child support arrangements. However, you must follow proper procedures if you want these modifications to be valid and enforceable in court. An experienced divorce lawyer in Clarksville can help with this process.
If my spouse and I cannot agree on the division of certain household items, do we have to litigate the division?
It often costs more in legal fees to fight over disputed items than to buy new ones. However your property settlement is not complete until these items are distributed. The judge simply divides them in a manner neither of you may like.
Can property acquired before marriage be divided upon divorce?
Assets owned by either spouse prior to the marriage generally remain with that spouse after the marriage ends. In some states, the court can define the start date of a marriage as being earlier than the date if it is equitable to do so.
We are committed to helping you and your family move on
Divorce is never easy. However, with the help of our compassionate and dedicated legal team at the Kennedy Law Firm, PLLC, you can put the process behind you as quickly as possible while still protecting your rights and setting yourself and your children up for a bright future. Call us at 931-444-5620 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with an attorney at one of our Clarksville locations. We serve people throughout the counties of Montgomery, Davidson, Stewart, Cheatham, Houston, Dickson, Humphreys and Henry.